Current Watches and Warnings
California, Los Angeles County Coast including Downtown Los Angeles
Excessive Heat Warning
Statement as of 2:08 AM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 11:00 PM EDT on October 24, 2017
... Excessive heat warning remains in effect from 10 am Monday to
8 PM PDT Tuesday...
* temperatures... 100-106 degrees on Monday and Tuesday.
Overnight lows in the 70s. Isolated lower 80s possible in the
* Impacts... the very high temperatures create a dangerous
situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Temperatures
inside vehicles, even if the windows are partially open, can
quickly rise to life-threatening levels.
Take extra precautions Monday through Tuesday if you work or
spend time outside. When possible, reschedule strenuous
activities to early morning or evening. Know the signs and
symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat stroke. Wear light weight
and loose fitting clothing when possible and drink plenty of
Never, ever, leave people or pets in enclosed vehicles, even for
a short period of time.
To reduce risk during outdoor work the occupational safety and
health administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks
in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by
heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke
is an emergency - call 911.
Beach Hazard Statement
Statement as of 1:18 AM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 8:00 PM EDT on October 22, 2017
... Beach hazards statement remains in effect through this
* hazards... surf heights 3 to 6 feet with local sets to 7 feet
will continue through this afternoon. These conditions are due
to a long period west northwest swell across the coastal waters.
* Impacts... there is an increased risk for ocean drowning. Rip
currents can pull swimmers and surfers out to sea. Large
breaking waves can wash people off jetties, beaches and
rocks... and capsize small boats near shore.
A beach hazards statement is issued when threats such as rip
currents... longshore currents... sneaker waves and other hazards
create life-threatening conditions in the surf zone. Swim near a
lifeguard. If caught in a rip current, relax and float. Don't
swim against the current. If able, swim in a direction following
the shoreline. If unable to escape, face the shore and call or
wave for help.
Fire Weather Warning
Statement as of 10:22 AM PDT on October 22, 2017
Expires 9:00 PM EDT on October 24, 2017
... Red flag warning remains in effect until 6 PM PDT Tuesday for
gusty northeast winds... hot temperatures... and low relative humidity
for the Ventura County coast and Los Angeles County coast from Malibu
to Hollywood Hills...
* winds... areas of northeast winds 10 to 20 mph with gusts to 25 mph
today from the Ventura County coast extending eastward to
Malibu and Hollywood Hills. Winds increasing to 15 to 30 mph
with gusts to 35 to 45 mph Monday through Tuesday. Strongest
winds on Tuesday.
* Relative humidity... minimum values 8 to 18 percent today,
lowering to between 5 and 12 percent Monday through Tuesday.
Very poor humidity recoveries expected each night in the
foothills and wind prone areas.
* Temperatures... Max temperatures 84 to 94 degrees today,
rising to between 95 and 105 degrees Monday into Tuesday. Very
warm overnight low temperatures in the foothills and wind
prone areas... remaining in the 70s in warmest locations.
* Impacts... if fire ignition occurs, there will be the potential
for very rapid spread of wildfire with long range spotting and
extreme fire behavior that could lead to a threat to life and
A red flag warning means that critical fire weather conditions
are expected. A combination of gusty winds... very low relative
humidity... and hot temperatures can contribute to extreme fire
behavior. Use extreme caution when using potential fire ignition
- Alabama - Tornado Warning , Flash Flood Warning , Coastal Hazard Statement , Areal Flood Advisory , Areal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement
- Alaska - High Wind Watch , Special Statement
- California - Excessive Heat Warning, Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory , Excessive Heat Warning , Excessive Heat Watch , Fire Weather Warning , Fire Weather Watch , Beach Hazard Statement
- Colorado - Fire Weather Warning , Public Information Statement
- Florida - Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Warning , Coastal Flood Advisory, Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Hazard Statement , Coastal Flood Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Georgia - Coastal Hazard Statement
- Guam - High Surf Warning, High Surf Advisory
- Hawaii - Flash Flood Watch , High Wind Watch
- Idaho - Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Illinois - Public Information Statement
- Indiana -
- Iowa - Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Kansas - Flood Warning , Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Louisiana - Storm Surge Warning, Tropical Storm Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Massachusetts -
- Michigan - Areal Flood Watch , Record Report
- Minnesota - Flood Warning , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Mississippi - Flash Flood Warning , Flood Warning , Flash Flood Watch , Special Statement
- Missouri - Flood Warning , Flood Watch , Public Information Statement
- Montana - High Wind Warning , High Wind Warning, Lake Wind Advisory , High Wind Watch , Lake Wind Advisory , Wind Advisory
- Nebraska - Fire Weather Warning , Special Statement , Public Information Statement
- Nevada -
- New Mexico -
- New York -
- North Carolina -
- North Dakota - High Wind Watch
- Ohio -
- Oklahoma - Flood Warning
- Oregon - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Pennsylvania -
- Puerto Rico - Flash Flood Warning
- South Dakota - High Wind Watch
- Tennessee - Wind Advisory
- Texas - Tropical Storm Warning , Storm Surge Watch, Tropical Storm Warning , High Wind Watch , Record Report , Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Virginia -
- Washington - Flood Warning , Areal Flood Warning , Areal Flood Watch , Wind Advisory , Record Report , Public Information Statement
- Wisconsin - Public Information Statement , Public Information Statement
- Wyoming - High Wind Watch , High Wind Warning , Winter Weather Advisory , Special Statement , Public Information Statement